Monday, December 28, 2009

my own little fences

Inspired by the fantastic Paul Lisicky, who suggested that top-ten-of-the-year lists were "often more about fence-building than anything," I've decided to make a couple of my own little fences.

10 books read in 2009 that inspired me to write

The Street of Crocodiles - Bruno Schulz
Collected Poems of Lynda Hull
Tree of Smoke - Denis Johnson
The Book of Nightmares - Galway Kinnell
Bluets - Maggie Nelson
Museum of Accidents - Rachel Zucker
Giovanni's Room - James Baldwin
Instructions from the Narwhal - Allison Titus
Sister - Nickole Brown
The Book of Flashlights, Clover & Milk - Joshua Marie Wilkinson


10 songs I put on repeat in 2009

Tiger Mountain Peasant Song - First Aid Kit covering Fleet Foxes
1926 - Thalia Zedek
Flightless Bird, American Mouth - Iron & Wine
Forest and Sands - Camera Obscura
Velvet - The Big Pink
Lopin' Along Through the Cosmos - Judee Sill
Vengeance is Sleeping - Neko Case
Just Didn't Need To Know - The Shivers
Two Birds - Regina Spektor
Sunday Smile - Beirut



There you go, chickadees. Hope you're staying warm.

2 comments:

sofija said...

I got jmt a copy of Tree of Smoke for Christmas... I hope it inspires him as well.

A Synonym for Living said...

I think it's the best Johnson fiction since Jesus' Son, although somehow I still have yet to read Nobody Move.