Tuesday, February 22, 2011

so it goes

The new issue of Matchbook, in which I have a tiny Batman poem, is now available for purchase.


I have a new post up at the Gulf Coast blog, entitled When We Were Very Young. This may be the most purely sweet piece of prose I have written in years.



Last night I was sitting on a curb with my transgender friend E., bemoaning some of what's going on in my life. E. said that he is broke, so he can't complete the transition yet from F to M, which he's been wanting to do for years. I think I'll make a funny-looking guy, he says, I'm so short. I have to look at him like he's crazy, because he'll be attractive no matter what. It's his spirit that's attractive, his faith. I talk a little more about my issues & start to cry out of frustration, even though I'm also somehow calmed by the warm night, the little dot of the moon. E. asks me if I want to trade problems. I don't even think about saying Yes. We hug and say goodnight. He gets on his little yellow scooter and zips off. I get in my silver car and count my blessings. As tangled as they may be.

No comments: