Thursday, February 3, 2011

hi ho the glamorous life

Illness knocked me out this week. I saw parts of Houston that I've never seen and/(and/or) may not be visible except to the very ill. My eye swelled up. I took to calling it Quasimodo, or Quasimodi, really. Now at least I can see and stay awake for more than 4 hours at a time, but I'm not in DC in the literary world whirlwind, I'm in a little heat cave in Houston, healing with lots of school work & a little ginger ale.


If you didn't already know, Nick Flynn's new book of poetry "The Captain Asks For A Show Of Hands" is now out. Go get it. If you have no prior introduction to his work, listen here. And now go.

If you are in DC - look for Gigantic Sequins, OH NO Books, Small Fires Press/Matchbook, Lo-Ball, Pilot Poetry, etc. etc. & get the inevitable hotel spins for me. Stay warm, chickadees.

2 comments:

Randall Nichols said...

I hope you get to feeling better. Thank you for the heads up on the Flynn book too... I have yet to find a reliable method to keep up with all the releases I'd like to.

A Synonym for Living said...

thanks for the well wishes :)

the collection is really worth reading - a poetics broadly developed since Some Ether & Blind Huber.